New York at the SAME TIME

About 9 days ago, this article was in the New York Times.

It was the story of a lawful good cyclist who, for the sake of the law, god and country, stopped at every red light.

The NYtimes article was actually published on the same day that 100PSI wrote his article about stopping at every red light for a week. Weird, right? It’s like we’re all connected, man. And then everyone tears off their business suits, and they’re all wearing tie-dye.

So, this week some readers responded to the good cyclist. One was a biker who blamed not-stopping on the unruly New York pedestrians. This sort of makes sense at first – I mean the pedestrians in NYC (as well as Boston) are terrible, but wouldn’t they be worse if you were trying to run a red? Two true statements does not an argument make.

The other response was from a non-biker who said we need more regulation, and hadn’t thought about how expensive it is to regulate something.

I love watching the NY cycling debate unfold at the same time as the Boston debate. It’s weird because (from my perspective) New Yorkers seem to have a wider cycling base, and roughly 20 times the amount of bike lanes as Boston (400 vs. 20, right?). It just reminds me that we have a lot of ways to go; New York has done so much in the way of physical infrastructure and they are still in the same place that we are.

As much as I hate to say it, it’s shit like running red lights that is going to make the difference in the end.

Heart and minds, you assholes. That’s what we need.

7 Responses to “New York at the SAME TIME”

1. 100psi
    May 10th, 2010 | 10:30 am

i’m finding stopping at most reds does make a difference for the better. and for the record, i never, ever wear tie dye.

2. cyclostat
    May 10th, 2010 | 10:44 am

God I hate stopping at red lights…but I know that you’re right.

Does this mean that I have to be Lawful Good? Maybe I can be a paladin…..

3. May 10th, 2010 | 11:19 am

ha ha, “hearts and minds, you assholes”.

Every word I have ever written about this subject can best be summarized by the quote above. Beautiful.

4. cyclostat
    May 10th, 2010 | 11:38 am

“Hearts and Minds, you Asshole” is going to be my mantra for the next few weeks, but I’m not sure how effective it’ll be.
    It’s weird, but there is a part of me that just wants to physically or socially dominate the cars. Like I want to punch them in the nose to disorient them, or condition them into respecting and staying away from cyclists.

5. 100psi
    May 10th, 2010 | 12:46 pm

try to view stopping at reds (most, not all) not as a win for johnny law, and a loss for cycling freedom, but as a new way of riding, and a change in attitude.

plus, if you get involved in a court case with a motorist (and who doesn’t daydream of that happening while in the saddle), being on the right side of “the law” can only help.

6. May 10th, 2010 | 2:01 pm

[…] this argument throughout the article. I agree fully. As cyclostat put it very elegantly in his recent blog post “As much as I hate to say it, it’s shit like running red lights that is going to make the […]

7. dotriderblog
    May 10th, 2010 | 4:59 pm

Scofflaw culture is rife in biking, driving and pedestrian circles. All of us have to stop taking the blame of what some of us do or we won’t go anywhere.