To the Winner Goes the Superlative

Oh, I love simple studies like this. They’re just enough to get people interested in doing more and by god they’re easy.

I’m talking about an article on Tree Hugger, where some citizens of Sao Paulo, Brazil….

– [I’ll save you the trouble, it’s right here: View Larger Map]] –

….had 18 different people race, using different types of transport. This being a bike blog, I’m sure you figured out that it was two mighty cyclists who ended up winning the race.

yEat it, Cars

Eat it, Cars

You’ll notice that the last symbol is a helicopter. Yes, the cyclists beat a fucking helicopter. Cyclists are now the greatest form of urban transport on the earth.

….if only we had a bike lobby in congress….

The important thing to remember is that it was the experienced cyclists who got the 25 minute and 22 minute scores, other cyclists took their sweet time. One of those was a fixed gear rider, and the other had full gears. To me, it’s just impressive that they beat a fucking helicopter.

Does anyone think that it is feasible to recreate this in Boston? We could get some serious publicity from a simple, n=21 experiment with car vs. bike vs. T.

The Tree Hugger Article:

8 Responses to “To the Winner Goes the Superlative”

1. September 23rd, 2009 | 6:07 pm

I am so in, would even be willing to put up a bit of scratch for some prizes…could call it the BostonBiker.org transit race or something like that…feel free to come up with a better name lets do this!

Contact me though the contact form

2. scott
    September 23rd, 2009 | 7:32 pm

shane, make it happen. who wouldn’t want to partake and/or watch (and wager)? i don’t know if i could finish faster than a helicopter, but i too would race against a subway line, bus, taxi, motorist, from point a to point downtown. make the globe cover it. or…have a race against a cyclist and monique doyle spencer! winner gets to scare the f**k out of loser.

3. cyclostat
    September 23rd, 2009 | 8:47 pm

Oh man, I’m so psyched that you guys are down. Imagine how cool it could be if we actually got MDS to race against us in her vehicle of choice. The flyer for this should be a cyclist’s ass, raised off the seat saying “Get off the road, you gas-guzzling pig!”. I feel comfortable enough to race against her during rush hour traffic.

4. cyclostat
    September 23rd, 2009 | 8:48 pm

Wait, to clarify, this is not a race against MDS, but rather a race to determine who the greatest urban transport system is during rush hour.

5. September 24th, 2009 | 10:56 am

Nowhere to land a helicopter in Boston…

6. cyclostat
    September 24th, 2009 | 10:58 am

Clearly, you don’t live near some of our fine hospitals.

7. Ladytraveler
    September 25th, 2009 | 1:06 am

you can land a helicopter at Boston Medical…also Bikes Not Bombs might be interested…they do a mini version of this race with their youth in their Earn-A-Bike youth program…It’s called the Commuter Race….

8. September 26th, 2009 | 10:20 pm